This booklet provides an overview of the issue of child detention, exploring why children are on the move, statistics, the impacts of immigration detention of children and solutions to explore.
A summary of normative and policy developments that reflect the growing consensus and acknowledgment from the international community that immigration detention is never in the best interests of a child.
Statements produced by the IAWG
Child Rights Experts Call on Member States to End Child Immigration Detention: There Are Alternatives
The Inter-Agency Working Group (IAWG) to End Child Immigration Detention commends States’ efforts towards developing child-sensitive and human-rights based Global Compacts and highlights the need to ensure that the Global Compacts do not fall below minimum child rights standards and do not allow for the possibility of detaining children for immigration purposes. The IAWG emphasizes the potential of the Global Compacts as a multilateral multi-stakeholder process and calls on States to use this process to work together to ensure that in practice alternatives are always available to safeguard the rights, dignity and welfare of migrant children and their families, regardless of their status. The IAWG stands ready to further support States’ efforts through the implementation of the Global Compacts by offering guidance on alternatives to detention, engaging in national capacity-building, sharing positive practices, and tracking progress and achievements.
Resources produced by Members of the IAWG
- Children on the Move Principles
- Children on the Move Conference 2017
- CRC Report of the 2012 Day of General Discussion
- UNHCR Global Detention Strategy
- UNHCR Options Paper No. 1
- UNICEF Administrative detention of children: a global report
- UNICEF Children Uprooted
- UNICEF Danger every step of the way
- SR Migrants Administrative Detention of Children is a Violation of Children’s Rights
- CMW Statement on Ending Immigration Detention of Children
- SR Torture Thematic Report on Children Deprived of Liberty
- Global Campaign to End the Immigration Detention of Children
- UNHCR Global Strategy – Beyond Detention
- Terre des Hommes Destination Unknown Campaign
- UN Global Study on Deprivation of Liberty of Children
- CRC / CMW Joint General Comment on the Human Rights of Children in the Context of International Migration